La Lombarda, Italian Take Away


La Lombarda, Italian Take Away

Full Description


La Lombarda, the Uk’s oldest Italian restaurant was opened in 1922 by Joe & Nan Birnie who originally came from Italy’s northern region of Lombardy  (hence the name).   The business was later passed to their daughter & son-in-law Monica & Fabrizio Necchi who expanded the original restaurant by adding a basement Wine Bar & Function suite and an adjoining Take Away.

The restaurant has seen two world wars, the offshore oil boom and the demise of the city’s famous fishing and granite industries. It is still trading successfully at the east end of Union Street in the Granite City’s historic Castlegate, with the Mercat Cross, The Citadel, and The Town House just some of the many historic granite buildings surrounding it.

The restaurant was sold in 1999 to George & Theresa Wyatt (the present owners) who along with their staff welcome their many regular customers and visitors to the city serving traditional Italian Cuisine of Pasta, Pizzas, Meat and seafood dishes mainly sourced from Local Suppliers, in surroundings which have a friendly and traditional atmosphere.



Category


Leave a Reply